Due to the volume of remote hearings and Court centres limiting the number of attendees in person our mini-pupillage programme is suspended.
Deans Court Remote Mini Pupillage Evening 2021
The deadline for our mini pupillage evening has now passed.
Successful Applicants will be sent an exercise to prepare 7 days before the event and will go through the same with Members of Chambers. The evening will also feature a Q&A with our most recent tenants giving Applicants the opportunity to ask about all things pupillage.
When applying, Applicants are asked to indicate in order their preference of our main practice areas of civil, crime and family.
We look forward to receiving your applications!
About Mini Pupillage at Deans Court:
Deans Court Chambers traditionally offers a limited number of 2-day and 3-day placements to exceptional University students considering studying for the Bar. Our purpose is to allow candidates to consider whether they are suited to this unique and challenging career. Mini-pupillages at Deans Court Chambers are not assessed, nor is a mini-pupillage at Deans Court Chambers a necessary condition of a full pupillage application.
Placements are generally available with our Criminal team(normally based in Preston), Family team (normally based in Manchester) and Personal Injury team (normally based in Manchester).
We regret that we are unable to take applicants under the age of 19 in any event.
What we are looking for:
Applicants are expected to show similar potential to candidates for full pupillage and priority will be given to applicants in their second year or early part of the final year of their law degree or in the early part of their CPE/GDL year. Regrettably, candidates with less than AAA at A-level or who have not achieved 2:1 results to date are unlikely to be considered save in exceptional circumstances. A declaration of confidentiality must be completed before the mini-pupillage is undertaken.
In response to the demand for mini-pupillage experience, we have introduced an annual one-day Mini-Pupillage event which takes place at our Manchester Chambers. Further details of this event will appear on this page at the relevant time.
Given the volume of applications we receive on an annual basis we ask that if you are unsuccessful you do not reapply in the next 12 months as your application will not be considered in this time.
How to apply:
- Applications for mini-pupillage (whether the one-off events or normal placements) should be made electronically with a curriculum vitae in Word or PDF form only addressed to the Pupillage and Mini-Pupillage Committee at email@example.com in the first instance;
- Applicants are expected to set out in their CVs: GCSE, AS and A-level (or equivalent) subjects and grades as well as their degree raw marks for each year of study in addition to degree classification;
- All applications must contain an academic referee together with contact details for the same including an email address;
- All successful applicants are required to bring photographic ID on the first day of mini-pupillage for security purposes;
- All data contained within applications is subject to Chambers’ GDPR compliance policy;
- In the unlikely event that a candidate is unable to apply electronically, a written application may be addressed to The Pupillage Administrator at Deans Court Chambers, 24 St John Street, Manchester M3 4DF;
- Please state any dates of non-availability within 6 months of your application date;
- Applicants are asked to identify their preference for Crime, Family or Civil; (although no guarantees can be made)
Whilst every effort will be made to allocate a mini-pupil time with a Barrister in the specialty or specialities requested, candidates will be aware that there are Court cases which are not suitable for the attendance of mini-pupils and, occasionally, there may not be a Barrister available to take a mini-pupil until later in the day.
The Social Mobility Foundation (SMF) supports ambitious young people from low-income backgrounds to access top universities and careers. They run programmes which are completely free of charge and feature mentoring, internships with top companies, application support, and professional development and skills workshops for high achieving young people across the UK. Deans Court Chambers is delighted to be working with the SMF to provide a mini-pupillage each term and ensure that the brightest and the best from all backgrounds gain a better understanding of a career at the bar.
We are also delighted to be offering places on the Bridging The Bar (BTB) Mini-Pupillage Scheme. As a partner Chambers to the scheme, we will be offering mini pupillage places to successful candidates from underrepresented backgrounds. For more information on the scheme and the work BTB do click here.